Sunday, October 17, 2010

What should one do in case of panic attacks?

When we talk about problems in critical thinking, we are taught to analyze our problems calmly, ask questions, makes assumptions, collect information, draw out conclusions and tentative conclusions and follow certain point of views/ consider certain point of views.

A question  popped in my head while going through notes and over burdening myself, How will I study all of these in such little time? What if I fail? What will I do? How will i do? and at the particular point my throat went dry and I  felt the world spinning around me and I realized I've managed to freak out and no matter how much I try figuring out the problem I'll keep on feeling scared and eventually fail.

I overcame it in my own way ..(.i.e by having some coffee and sleeping for a bit) but what should one do in case of  such panic attacks? specially as college students I'm sure all of us go through such dilemmas everyday, and critical thinking doesn't come in that easy, freaking out feels easier.

2 comments:

  1. I guess the whole point of critical thinking is to be rational and clear (Remember, clarity is one of the standards of CT). Panic attacks are emotional processes that ones' mind goes through. It is a completely normal psychological process that someone in stress goes through. Thus, if you are facing stress, it is obviously harder to calm yourself down and think rationally.

    I think the best thing to do when one freaks out is take a few deep breaths. Biologically, when one gets panic attacks, the brain is working super fast and then competely blanks out. The whole point of CT is to take your thoughts slowly and through a proper process and procedure. So, when one is emotionally high on stress, calm yourself out. And THEN take it slowww. Ask those questions slowly. Ask one, answer it, reflect on it, take it through the CT process and then move on to the next, rather than asking yourself loads of questions at the same time, which will obviously freak you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anam

    Please bring this up in class this weekend. Its an issue that impacts all of us. Also read the stuff I sent via email on stress & distress, & cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).

    Good points by Observant.

    Regards,
    Faheem

    ReplyDelete